Happy Friday friends! I’m so glad you stopped by! Are you ready for the weekend? I know I am. Speaking of weekend, 2 weeks ago I started a simple “weekend” project. I decided to refinish our 12-year-old kitchen table. The table top was a dark cherry finish. It had all sorts of “memories” etched into it from my kids when they were little. I love my kids and I love a well-worn rustic finish, but after 12 years, this table was in desperate need of an update! I wanted to lighten it up with an ash blonde finish. To be honest, I don’t know what kind of wood my table is made of, but if I had to guess i would say it’s Cherry just because it has red hue in it’s natural state. So anyway…after trial and error, my weekend project was more like my 2 week project. But now that it’s finally finished I love it! It really feels like I have a brand new table! However, it really shouldn’t have taken me that long. So I thought I would share a few tips on how to get the popular ash blonde finish WITHOUT the trial and error process.
You will need:
*read all directions on back of cans before applying
1. Sand wood with 150 grit sandpaper with an orbital sander. This will strip off the existing finish, dents and scratches.
2. Clean off sawdust. Sand with 320 grit sandpaper for a nice smooth finish.
3. Wipe down furniture with a tack cloth.
4. Rub Minwax Pre-stain wood conditioner into wood with a rag. This will prevent blotchiness when applying stain
5. 2 hours later, apply Minwax Weathered Oak Stain with a clean rag. Let sit 5 – 10 minutes then wipe off.
6. 4 hours later, apply Minwax Pickled Oak Stain with a clean rag. Let sit 5 – 10 minutes, then wipe off.
7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 every 4 hours, alternating stain colors, until you achieve desired finish color. I did this 6 times (3 of each color)
8. At least 4 hours later, wipe with a tack cloth and apply Minwax Spar Urethane with a foam brush.
9. Let dry a minimum of 4 hours, then sand with 320 grit sandpaper.
10. 4 hours later, wipe with a tack cloth and repeat steps 8 & 9
11. For a matte finish( just to keep it rustic 😉 ) sand again with 320 grit sandpaper
12. Wipe with a tack cloth and you’re finished! Literally 😉
Mama’s Way My Mama has a lot of heirloom china, crystal and silver…